Fall Trending: A Shopping Guide

Fall shopping can be intimidating sometimes.  Maybe you regularly go fall shopping like me to get a few new key items to have in your closet or maybe you stopped fall shopping when "back to school shopping" was no longer a thing for you to do. Either way, I think it's nice to refresh your closet every 6 months when the weather starts to dramatically transition.

Before swapping out my clothes for each season I try to go through the closet and what I had in storage to decide if I really want to wear it again for the season at hand.  When sorting through my clothes I usually do 1 of 3 things: Donate it, sell it or trash it.  I know you feel bad throwing away those bras or undies you've had for 10 years but trust me Goodwill does not want it either! 

In the last few months, I've thrown away underwear, bras, jeans with giant holes, and a shirt or two that is not ready or able to be worn by someone else.  Since joining Poshmark, I've made a few sales with the "old" key items I had in my closet with good labels on them.  Everything else that's a little more worn or is something that I didn't spend a lot of money on goes to donation.

After a good closet cleanse, it's time to invest in some new pieces!  I've picked out a few trends that I feel are important this year and might be something you want for your closet as well.


OK so I know teddy fleece is a little scary (and trust me I've seen some scarier looking jackets than the ones I picked) but it's actually something that can be really stylish and versatile.  Teddy fleece a nice way to layer up this fall before we plummet into the sub-arctic weather that they are predicting for winter this year.

Click the links to shop above for a jacket in each price range. If you're not ready to fully commit to an all over fleece look I think the denim jacket with the teddy fleece (removable) collar is a perfect way to get into this trend.


The Bag, The Belt, The Bow, The Bracelet

The 4 B's! Vintage scarves and bandanas are a staple accessory for fall into the spring season.  From street style to styling for editorials this is a key item to have.  I picked up some vintage scarves from a flea market last year and have been holding onto them for a little bit waiting for the right moment to use them.  Even if it's just tying a bandana on your head or around your neck, it's bound to be cute.



Button down shirts and flannels are always on trend but how they are being styled has changed over the last few seasons.  While shopping in London on vacation almost every single street vendor in London selling clothing was selling shirts very similar to Look 3. The shirt can be worn tied or untied and it's easy to layer over a tank top to avoid showing skin (like look 4.)  Look 2 from H&M has great back interest and is a fun way to change up the silhouette.


Looking for a way to refresh your casual tee?  Embroidery or embellishment is the perfect way to go.  Each one of the designs above is an embroidery, appliqué or velvet detail to a basic shirt.  There are a lot of other embroidered shirt options out there but these are some cute basics. Other variations of the embroidered top include peasant tops and blouses which you can find online as well! The embellished tee is a nice way to dress up a casual work day outfit.


Jeans. We all have at least one pair in our drawers that we are in love with and practically live in.  It's taken me years to perfect which fit suits me but there are definitely some new denim trends that I'm dying to try on in store.  Above are 4 different jeans that are popping up everywhere and are worth at least trying on in the fitting room.

The 1st look is the athletic stripe: I've seen this on skinny jeans, boyfriend fit and wide leg jeans at many different retailers.  Depending on which fit you like best, it's a cool way to change up a classic look.  
The 2nd look is the wide leg culotte: seen all summer in a light weight fabric this look transitions easily into fall with a new fabrication, denim! Great for layered looks, boots, flats and showing off cool socks the wide leg is making its way back into daily fashion. 
The 3rd look is hem alterations: from inset panels, to uneven hems, to shredded hems; a finished look isn't necessary for most anymore.  
The 4th look is a classic black skinny: I think every one should have at least 1 pair of black skinny jeans in their closet. Black jeans are easy to wear and go with literally everything.  If skinny isn't your fit there are plenty of other silhouettes out there that are in black to compliment your figure and style.


Now that you have an idea of where to start get out there and start shopping! I tried to hit all price points in my offerings above. Fashion doesn't have to cost you a fortune! There are plenty of shops out there that are putting out good quality goods. If you like to shop more on the high-end of things check out websites like Revolve, Bloomingdales, Nordstrom rack. You can also find all these looks at a Macys, JCPenny or Khols too!  If you have any other questions or want to pick my brain on more style tips you know where to find me!

Until then-- Stay strong and style on 

-Kristina




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

David Bowie: Fashion Icon, Rock Legend

Polka Dot Queen

Dark Vibes